We first started this 12 month plan to better marketing by focusing on customer acquisition and retention. Now we turn to improving marketing skills. We live in a golden age of learning opportunities, thanks to the internet, and the long days of summer are a great opportunity to catch up or get ahead. Taking time to invest in your skills and knowledge is a surefire plan to better marketing.
With so many universities posting classes online for free or through platforms like Coursera, you can literally go to summer school. In addition to the Ivy Leagues, there are other free online classes to consider.
- My Own Business, Inc offers a variety of online business and marketing classes for small business owners. Each is self-paced and they have a lot of free courses specifically targeting those just starting out.
- Udacity offers video courses for those looking to improve their math and programming skills. What could be a better plan to better marketing than to improve your data analysis skills? While there are a few free classes, most are priced around $200 a month and they’re self-paced so you can go as fast or slow as you want.
- Lynda is an easy-to navigate learning platform for helping you enhance your business, web and creative skills. They were recently acquired by LinkedIn so expect to see even more in the future.
If you don’t have the time to invest in classes, webinars are a quick way to improve your knowledge and even skills in just a few hours.
- BizLaunch offers plenty of free webinars every month on a variety of topics focused on helping small businesses improve. And if you miss one, don’t fret. They keep an archive of past webinars that you can access anytime.
- The American Marketing Association hosts various events including free webinars that can help you improve your marketing capabilities. Sign up for email alerts to stay in the know.
- The Small Business Administration’s Learning Center is full of great resources for small businesses including videos about everything from Cybersecurity for Small Business and Patents, Trademarks, and Copyright.
You can learn a lot from the experience of other entrepreneurs and subject matter experts. Thanks to online videos, you don’t have to pay for expensive conferences to hear them speak.
- Khan Academy hosts more than 3,000 videos across a variety of topics but their interviews with entrepreneurs like Reid Hoffman and Drew Houston are sure to inspire.
- RSA Animate is like TED only it’s illustrated making it informative, entertaining, and inspiring.
With so many choices, you should be able to commit to at least three learning opportunities this summer so come September, you’ll not only be a better marketer, you can also use what you learned to feed your content marketing and social media monsters.