1. Who are you and what business did you start?
My name is Natalie MacNeil. I am co-founder of GarageEntrepreneurs.com and author of a business and lifestyle blog for women at http://www.SheTakesOntheWorld.com
2. Why did you start your own business?
I wanted freedom from a “typical” life. I want to impact the world and inspire others to do the same.
3. What has been your biggest challenge so far?
I started my business when I was 18 years old and I work in an industry often dominated by men. I really had to prove myself to be taken seriously as a very young woman in business.
4. What was the biggest mistake you made so far?
I tried to do too much at once. I had to get back to the basics and take baby steps rather than trying to sprint through the goals I have.
5. If you could go back and change something, what would you do differently?
I would be more careful when choosing business partners and I would reconsider the structure of the company.
6. Which has been your biggest achievement so far?
Being able to travel throughout Europe in partnership with the Centre for Business, Entrepreneurship, and Technology at the University of Waterloo to bring international attention to Garage Entrepreneurs.
7. What’s the best advice you’ve been given so far?
Sometimes an idea doesn’t work out and you have to completely change directions. Learn from it and move on.
8. What advice would you give a new business owner?
1. Find a mentor or someone who can give you good advice.
2. Don’t be afraid to fail.
3. If you’re going to fail, fail fast and fail cheap.
9. Where did you go for business support and advice when you started up?
I went to the Ontario Small Business Centre in my city. They were able to provide me with the resources I needed and they offer free consultations with a business advisor.
10. Which part of growing a business do you find most challenging?
Finding the right people to grow with you.